Achievements of the core CAR-ES group (2005-2010)
Ten open seminars have been arranged:
- 28 January 2005, Uppsala, Sweden. Start-up meeting with core members.
- 29-30 September 2005, Hørsholm, Denmark. Kick-off meeting with all partners.
- 18-19 May 2006, Hyytiälä, Finland. Seminar on “Buffer zones and ecosystem services”. 10 scientists from 5 countries participated.
- 12-15 October 2006, Haukadalur, Iceland. Seminar on “Effects of afforestation on ecosystem services”. The seminar was attended by 12 scientists from 5 countries.
- 7-9 June 2007, Bergen, Norway. Seminar on “Nordic forestry and biodiversity”. 14 scientists from 5 countries participated.
- 10-12 January 2008, Frederiksberg, Denmark (Postponed from Nov. 2007). Seminar on “Water and Climate Change”. 14 scientists from 6 countries participated.
- 27-29 May 2008, Norberg, Sweden. Seminar on “Bioenergy and its consequences for Environmental Services” and 6th Progress Meeting. 19 scientists from 6 countries participated.
- 29-30 October 2008, Helsinki, Finland. Planning seminar for international conference and 7th Progress Meeting. 11 scientists from 5 countries participated.
- 2-5 June 2009, Akureyri, Iceland. Seminar on “Environmental Services of forests and terrestrial/ aquatic interactions”. 17 scientists attended from 6 countries.
- 16-18 March 2010, Jaunmoku Palace, Latvia. A workshop entitled “Environmental impacts of increased bioenergy use” took place. 15 scientists from 7 countries participated.
- 28-30 September 2010, southern Sweden will be arranged.
An international scientific conference on “Adapting Forest Management to Maintain the Environmental Services: Carbon Sequestration, Biodiversity and Water” was held 21-24 September 2009 in Koli, Finland.
- A web site for this conference can be found at http://www.metla.fi/tapahtumat/2009/koli/index.htm where even all talks can be downloaded.
- During the Koli conference core members of the CAR-ES gave 4 oral presentations and presented 6 posters. A
- 11 abstracts are published in Finér, L., Laurén, A. & Lier, M. (eds.) (2009). Adapting forest management to maintain the environmental services: carbon sequestration, biodiversity and water. Abstracts and programme of an international conference at Koli National Park, Finland in 21.–24.9.2009. Metlan työraportteja/Working Papers of the Finnish Forest Research Institute 133. 94 pp http://www.metla.fi/julkaisut/workingpapers/2009/mwp133.htm.
- A special issue of Silva Fennica will be published in 2010 based on 10 papers offered by the participants of the Koli conference. The papers are now under review process.
SNS project 102 “Environmental impact of shorter forest rotations” was launched as an idea during CAR-ES meetings. The project was completed with a scientific publication: Weslien, J., Finér, L., Jónsson, J.Á., Koivusalo, H., Laurén, A., Ranius, T. & Sigurdsson, B.D. (2009). Effects of increased forest productivity and warmer climates on carbon sequestration, run-off water quality and accumulation of dead wood in a boreal landscape: A modelling study. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research 24: 333-347.
SNS project 106 “Ash recycling – long-term effects on tree growth” was launched as an idea during CAR-ES meetings. The project involves senior and junior researchers from Nordic Forestry Institutes as well as from Universities.
A literature review on “Environmental Services provided from Forests by the Water in the Nordic Countries” which include riparian management and buffer zones has been finalised and is accepted at Ambio. This product is a 100% CAR-ES product based on Nordic knowledge and data: Gundersen, P., Laurén, A., Finér, L., Ring, E., Koivusalo, H., Sætersdal, M., Weslien, J.-O., Sigurdsson, B.D., Högbom, L., Laine, J. and Hansen, K. (2010). Environmental Services provided from Forests by the Water in the Nordic Countries. Ambio (Accepted).
Two literature reviews (peer-review papers) has been produced as cooperation between Skogforsk, Sweden and Forest & Landscape Denmark. The titles are: “The impact of forest silvicultural operations on soil quality” and “The impact of forest management on water quality”. They will be submitted to Annals of Forest Science during 2010. The papers are a result of a co-operation between the CAR-ES and the EU EFORWOOD project. The co-operation will continue informally during 2010.
A meta-database on nitrate, phosphate and DOC leaching as a result of different forest management operations has been prepared in order to know the state of the overall amount of available data in the Nordic and Baltic countries.
2) impact on practical forestry including communication efforts performed and resulting changes in silvicultural practices
A fact sheet was produced and presented to the Nordic Council of Ministers meeting in Selfors, Iceland in August 2008: Gundersen, P., Ring, E., Hansen, K., Finér, L., Laurén, A. & Högbom, L. (2008) Forests produce clean water. Factsheet, Nordic Forest Research Co-operation Committee (SNS), 2pp.
Communication presentation to end-users:
- Weslien, J., Finér, L., Jónsson, J.A., Koivusalo, H., Laurén, A., Ranius, T. and Sigurdsson, B.D. (2008). Kol, kväveutlakning och död ved I morgondagens skog. Resultat 11 Skogforsk, 4pp.
- Guidelines for water protection, soil preparation and ash fertilisation in Finland.
100 courses for forestry personnel: Skogforsk Sweden is responsible for the courses on how to conduct forestry close to water and in other sensitive areas.
Publication about CAR-ES: Gundersen, P., Weslien, J., Sigurdsson, B.D., Sætersdal, M., Finér, L. and Callesen, I. (2007). The objectives of the research network “Centre of Advanced Research on Environmental Services” (CAR-ES). In: Halldórsson, G., Oddsdóttir, E.S. and Eggertsson, O. (Eds) “Effects of afforestation on ecosystems, landscape and rural development”. TemaNord 508: 126-131.